Re: Beaglebone Black - best way to install Jessie?

On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 05:20:10PM -0700, Vagrant Cascadian wrote:
> On 2014-08-20, Robert Nelson wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >> I've a Beaglebone Black running Debian 7.6 with some wheezy-backports
> >> packages. This is installed on both the internal eMMC flash and also
> >> 7.6 installed on the SD card.
> >>
> >> What's the best way to get a fresh Jessie onto this. I can update
> >> from the Internet so could change sources.list and update that way.
> >> Alternatively, I could use the latest installer if this is
> >> appropriate.
>
> > Well with all the work that Vagrant has done.
> >
> > You will be able to use the debian-installer for "jessie", out of the box*
>
> Serial console installs should work out of the box, though you'll need
> to install u-boot manually, which is not as straightforward as one might
> hope.

I took it straightforwardly - using Robert Nelson's latest wheezy console install to install a bare minimum 200M
wheezy, then updating that to Jessie using apt-get, installing KDE and the software defined radio packages I really wanted.

All good - I've been able to get Jessie running on a BBB, to install a HackRF, GNURadio and a full graphical environment.

Many thanks to all working on getting Jessie working well on ARM platforms. Next step is Parallella and then a Cubietruck :)

I'm EXTREMELY impressed :)

All the best,

AndyC