Re: Beaglebone Black - best way to install Jessie?

On 2014-08-20, Robert Nelson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM, Andrew M.A. Cater <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> I've a Beaglebone Black running Debian 7.6 with some wheezy-backports
>> packages. This is installed on both the internal eMMC flash and also
>> 7.6 installed on the SD card.
>>
>> What's the best way to get a fresh Jessie onto this. I can update
>> from the Internet so could change sources.list and update that way.
>> Alternatively, I could use the latest installer if this is
>> appropriate.

> Well with all the work that Vagrant has done.
>
> You will be able to use the debian-installer for "jessie", out of the box*

Serial console installs should work out of the box, though you'll need
to install u-boot manually, which is not as straightforward as one might
hope.

The big caveat here, is that USB support with a Debian armmp kernel is
pretty much not useable:

The frambebuffer console works fine, but with no USB, it's hard to get
an input device...

> The only gotcha, you'll need to update the eMMC bootloader, grab the
> console/flasher from here:
>
> http://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#2014-08-19
>
> At some point factory production will switch to one of our later test
> images listed there.

Alternately, manually installing u-boot from within debian-installer is
an option, but you really need to know your way around the quirks of
installing u-boot for the BeagleBone Black.

Last time I tried debian-installer it borked the u-boot partition of the
BeagleBone Black, even though I asked it not to mess with that partition
at all. I should follow-up with a bug if that's still the case...

Good luck!

live well,
  vagrnt