Re: Daily Debian Installer - network ports not working on QNAP TS-420

On Wed, 2014-07-16 at 10:58 +1000, Paul Freeman wrote:
> Apologies for replying to my own posting.
>

> I have just come across a posting on KernelHub

(FYI that's just a mailing list archive of the linux-kernel ML AFAICT)

>  (http://www.kernelhub.org/?msg=442529&p=2) on April 3, 2014 of a
> problem which appears very similar to the one I am seeing on the
> TS-420.  One obvious difference is it refers to the 88F6281 while the
> TS-420 has MV88F6282-Rev-A1.
>

> I guess it is possible this is a possible culprit.

It's possible, although I suspect not very likely.

If you are comfortable building your own kernels then you could try the
patch in the mail thread and see if it helps. Sadly the reporter in that
case seems to have had a bit of an attitude problem and wasn't
interested in root causing the issue so it looks like it hasn't been
fixed.

I've had a skim through the upstream git logs for the driver and the phy
drivers from 3.14 to the latest and nothing is leaping out at me.

I've only got a TS-419 (88F6281 based though) available to play with and
unfortunately the Debian kernel works on that.

Does the Wheezy installer boot OK on this system? That would at least
give us a known good baseline to compare with.

The next thing I would try if I were you is to compile a mainline kernel
and see if that works. If it does then we can try and track down the fix
and if not we have something to report to the upstream kernel folks on
the linux-arm-kernel ML, the kirkwood maintainers are a pretty friendly
and helpful bunch.

Ian.