Re: Notes on cubox-i installation

On Sun, Jul 06, 2014 at 02:20:03PM +0200, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> I have reinstalled my cubox-i and I revised my notes and want to share them
>
> http://bokomoko.de/~rd/Debian/cubox-i-notes.txt
>
> since they have been useful for me during reinstallation.

Thanks for sharing your thorough notes!

A few comments:

  blackbox:~# qemu-debootstrap --foreign  --include=ntp,ntpdate,less,u-boot,u-boot-tools,flash-kernel,linux-image-3.14-1-armmp,bash-completion,linux-firmware,fake-hwclock,emacs --exclude=nano --arch=armhf jessie /mnt/tmp http://http.debian.net/debian

Since you're using qemu-debootstrap, there's no need to call it with the
--foreign argument, as the qemu-debootstrap assumes this. I guess it shouldn't
hurt anything...

I would recommend instead of using qemu-debootstrap
--include=ntp,ntpdate,less... to use chroot after qemu-debootstrap finishes
the installation:

  chroot /mnt/tmp apt-get install ntp,ntpdate,less...

These two things might help avoid later having to run "apt-get -f install" and
"apt-get install dpkg --reinstall", which seem like they should be unnecessary.

If you pull flash-kernel from sid instead of jessie, you shouldn't have to
manually create the boot.scr file, but you may have to manually specify which
machine to emulate (see FK_MACHINE and /etc/flash-kernel/machine in the
flash-kernel manpage). It *should* be safe to force the machine type on
Cubox-i, as all it does is create the boot.scr and copy the dtb, but other
platforms could do destructive things.

live well,
  vagrant