Re: Encrytion on a QNAP

On 24/06/14 18:56, Ian Campbell wrote:
On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 17:18 +0200, Lee Williams wrote:
Hello,

since I have to reinstall my NAS on a new HDD, I thought it would be a
good idea to set up encryption this time. But I'm not sure how exactly
I should start on this.

I think the standard way to do this is using the dm-crypt facilities
built into the Debian installer. Now, will this work with a headless
machine where I can't enter anything on boot time?

That was my thought too. Out of the box? Probably not.

Pretty much:

apt-get install dropbear ; update-initramfs -k all -u

http://blog.neutrino.es/2011/unlocking-a-luks-encrypted-root-partition-remotely-via-ssh/

Finally, is this even a good idea? Will it cost too much performance?
I'm using a TS-119 and am not sure if any crypto would be accelerated.

TS-119 is kirkwood based I think, so there is some hardware acceleration
(md5, sha-1, aes) and an associated kernel driver (mv_cesa). I don't
know to what extent that is useful for dm-crypt etc though (md5
obviously not so much ;-)).

I've tried it on my iConnect which is similar specs and it as "OK" as a backup target, I'd not like to use it for live data.

--
Tim Fletcher <tim@night-shade.org.uk>