Re: Dreamplug - debian installer

On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 20:37 +0100, Michael Howard wrote:
> On 24/06/2014 18:01, Ian Campbell wrote:
> > On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 15:20 +0100, Michael Howard wrote:
> >
> >> As I was trying a fresh install I first used the current images (kernel
> >> & initrd) from wheezy. I then tried jessie and when that failed I tried
> >> the last images from squeeze. All failed at the same point. I can't
> >> remember the last time I did a 'fresh' install to say when it last
> >> worked here.
> > I've just tried booting the wheezy installer from
> > ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/wheezy/main/installer-armel/current/images/kirkwood/netboot/marvell/dreamplug/
> >
> > with "U-Boot 2012.04.01 (Jun 01 2012 - 02:17:08)" which is the u-boot
> > from the Wheezy u-boot package u-boot_2012.04.01-2_armel.deb and it
> > works for me (log at the end).
> >
> > I've asked you a couple of times now for the exact images you are using
> > and you've given inexact answers each time (e.g. "wheezy" which doesn't
> > tell me what I need to know), so I don't know if this matches what you
> > are using or not.
> Actually, you asked me once.

No, it was a couple of times:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2014/06/msg00094.html

        Which u-boot versions and with which specific kernel versions
        have you tried?

https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2014/06/msg00118.html

        And which kernels have you used, exact download URLs would be
        handy.

> I considered that 'the current images (kernel & initrd) from wheezy'
> etc, would be understandable to you, however, as it clearly isn't, here,

That could mean any of several different things from several different
places (netboot, netboot-gtk, netboot-console d-i images, perhaps the
daily builds etc), for all I knew you might have been downloading e.g.
the orion5x kernel images (which would have exactly the symptoms you
describe).

So, to avoid ambiguity it helps to be precise. (For example I'm still
not entirely sure which u-boot versions you have tried)

> have a url;
>
> http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/installer-armel/current/images/kirkwood/netboot/marvell/dreamplug/uImage
>
> I'm sure you can work out the rest.

If that's your attitude then I'm not going to bother.

> > I think if you want further help you are going to need to provide
> > details, including the actual logs of what you typed in u-boot, what the
> > output was etc.
> >
> I don't need further help. I was actually trying to help, but hey ho!

https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2014/06/msg00093.html reads to me as
"this doesn't work for me, please help". Was it intended as something
else? Do you not want to install Debian on your dreamplug?

Ian.