Re: go-mtpfs

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Joel Rees wrote:
>
>> Got an acer a200 last week, and I'm playing around with it, getting
>> ready to eventually put debian on it.
>
> Some information about Debian on mobile devices is here:

Right now, information is what I need.

> https://wiki.debian.org/Mobile

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to give back for a while. Got
a bit of a learning curve ahead of me.

> Probably your best option is lildebi:
>
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.guardianproject.lildebi

Okay, running debian in a chroot looks very interesting, although I'm
still at the stage of figuring out what "rooting" the tablet consists
of. Are you involved with the project?

Would lildebi play well with an external SD card? This tablet seems to
have only one 8G internal card, of which Android of course is taking
about 4G at this point. (I'm not inclined to install random apps, so
it's still pretty clean and will probably remain so.)

Right now, I'm just wanting to be able to use gedit, bc, and a forth
(C source) of my own creation on the road. Want to do a little ARM
assembler a few months down the road. Ultimately, I'd like to kick
Android to the curb, I think. Maybe.

I've seen other similar projects in the playstore, including debian
kit (Sven-ola Tuecke), debian noroot (pelya), Linux Installer STANDARD
(Galoula), GNURoot Wheezy (Corbin Champion), and Linux Deploy
(meefix), and Complete Linux installer (ZPWEBSITES), etc., but have no
basis for anything but a random choice at this point.

If you've had good luck with lildebi, I'll probably try that first.

After I figure out how to unlock the thing and get root privileges.
Which I assume is after I figure out how to use the google
sdk/ndk/adb.

> Another option is a chroot on Android:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/ChrootOnAndroid

So this would be basically doing the same thing as lildebi, but at a
lower level?

> A further option is to hack up the initramfs to boot Debian instead:

Yeah, I guess that's something down the road a bit.

> http://bonedaddy.net/pabs3/log/2012/12/03/debian-mobile/

Heh.

> A non-hacky way to do that would be to get petitboot or other Linux
> kernel based bootloader running:
>
> https://packages.debian.org/petitboot
>
>> Running wheezy (ia32 on amd) on my main box, loaded the mtpfs tools,
>> was able to get a tree listing and such. I've seen references to
>> go-mtpfs, is there such a package in debian? (Didn't see it with
>> apt-get, et. al.) Would it be worth pulling it off git-hub and
>> installing it by hand on the main box?
>
> I don't see go-mtpfs in Debian but there are C and C++ implementations
> of mtpfs already in Debian

I don't see mtpfs in Wheezy, but, as you say ...

> so there should be no need to use go-mtpfs.
> If you find out there are advantages to go-mtpfs I would suggest
> getting it into Debian.
>
> http://packages.debian.org/mtpfs

In sid, which I am not running. Is this going to be my first chance to
learn how to do a backport, then? Or should I move up to sid before I
try this?

> http://mentors.debian.net/intro-maintainers

Yeah, I'll have to dig in pretty soon, I guess. Not quite yet. Gotta
figure out what I'm doing first.

Thanks for the clues. This looks like a longer journey than I'd
wished, although shorter in some respects. (Hadn't been thinking of
using a chroot installed system, really.)

--
Joel Rees

Be careful where you see conspiracy.
Look first in your own heart.