Re: Tablets hacked ? was debian debootstrap arch etc....

> On 20.05.2014, at 20:35, RichardBown <richard@g8jvm.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 20 May 2014 14:02:18 -0400
> "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>
>>> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 02:42:07PM +0100, RichardBown wrote:
>>> not sure how much is needed , there is a lot of number crunching
>>> So the question now Len , is who will admit to opening up one of the
>>> cheap Chinese tablets and having a good rummage around inside ???
>>
>> Those are especially likely to be impossible to find specs for and
>> hence getting anything other than the android they came with running
>> may be near impossible.  Linux and android is NOT the same thing.
>>
>> Also the lack of a serial console makes the tablets a pain to work
>> with. Touch screens just don't work very well (or usually at all)
>> with linux.
>
> hiya
>
> I was wondering more of the ones that development boards were made
> available that ran linux. I'm aware of the relationship with android and
> linux.
> There are a few on the market that the chipsets are known.
> \If the linux support for bluetooth is adequate to use an external
> keyboard it doesn't matter if the touch screen is not very responsive.
> I'm not the only mad person around :)

With no affiliation to the company, I'd like to suggest an Utilite {Standard,Pro}. People have got the thing running pretty good with recent kernels. They both have mSata interfaces that need to be exposed externally. Seems like no hard task and you can even let the guests see it...