Re: is debian debootstrap arch dependent ? or broken- its BROKEN

+++ RichardBown [2014-05-19 23:01 +0100]:
> On Mon, 19 May 2014 16:56:06 -0400
> "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 03:47:32PM +0100, RichardBown wrote:
> > > On Mon, 19 May 2014 10:14:13 -0400
> > > "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > > <huge chop to save space>
> > >
> > > Hi Len
> > > It must be just a stupid pogoplug,
> > > I changed to the main US mirror, and got this:-
> > >
> > > I: Retrieving xz-utils
> > > W: Retrying failed download of
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
> > > I: Validating xz-utils W:
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
> > > was corrupt W: Couldn't download package xz-utils I: Retrieving
> > > zlib1g W: Retrying failed download of
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zlib/zlib1g_1.2.7.dfsg-13_armel.deb
> > > I: Validating zlib1g W:
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zlib/zlib1g_1.2.7.dfsg-13_armel.deb
> > > was corrupt W: Couldn't download package zlib1g I: Chosen extractor
> > > for .deb packages: ar W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/debian
> > > mount -t proc proc /proc debootstrap failed.
> > > See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.
> > >
> > > So I double checked the site address, and then copied and pasted the
> > > url from the line and ran wget manually
> > > Pogoplug:/tmp$ wget
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
> > > Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org (128.30.2.36:80)
> > > xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+ 100%
> > > |****************************************************************************|
> > > 233k 00:00:00 ETA Pogoplug:/tmp$
> > >
> > > So definitely something in debootstrap 1.0.48 thats broken for
> > > pogopigs.

> But if I can cut and paste from one of the lines which failed with
> debootstap and then down load the same file with success with wget,
> that point to one thing and one thing only
> deboostrap.
> its at the point where it determines the arch of the system in use, and
> fail with a pogoplug , as it uses dpkg, and dpkg is not in the pogoplug
> busybox.

So you are running on a busybox system? Trying to debootstrap debian?
(Sorry I've not followed all this in much detail)

I've had trouble like this where busybox had it's own version of dpkg-deb
which was just about sufficient to unpack a deb but was a very
minimalist implemntation so failed to work with the options deboostrap used.
(dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile)

If dpkg-deb is not present then it just uses 'ar' which will work fine.

I wonder if you are running into a similar problem? (see if you have a
dpkg-deb in your busybox - if you do you'll need to fix
/usr/share/debootstrap/functions to remove 'dpkg-deb' from
theEXTRACTORS_SUPPORTED variable).

downloading happens in the just_get function. I see there is an option to pre-download all the debs - that might be helpful.(set the URL to null: instead of http://)

debootrstrp itself uses wget to do the downloads, so if it works for you manually then the question is why isn't it working in the script?

I'd try turning on -x in /usr/sbin/debootstrap and/or /usr/share/debootstrap/functions
and see what commands are actually being issued. That should let you see what's breaking.

> So it doesn't know what its downloading for, so everything will seem
> corrupted.
> I guess I could start debootstrap with the arch switch set for armel,
> but I should have to edit a package, and then there is the problem
> of downloading the package, editing, then unloading to my web site so I
> cam use wget to load it on the pogoplug.

It looks like it is (trying to) download armel already so I don't follow you here.

> I dont know about other armel devices, but if some developer hadn't
> decided that the load to usb stick installer would no longer be
> available for armel, still available for armhf.
>
> As far as the pogoplug and anything else that uses the same version of
> Busybox DEBOOTSTRAP IS BROKEN.

debootstrap goes to a lot of trouble to try and run in 'any old'
environment, but this can go wrong, as I described above. It's also
not very well tested as it usually is used on debian systems. If you
can work out what's wrong and submit a fix or bugrep it's quite like
to improve this for those that follow.

> Shame, I prefer debian to arch linux as pacman is a PITA so is the
> netctl implementation, but I'm stuck with it as their install method
> is to load a tar ball and install the base system from that.
>
> Just the thing that Debian scrapped for ARMEL.
> Could raise it as a bug, but it wont get fixed.

You can make the armel image on another machine - you don;t have to do
it on the pogoplug.

Use
debootstrap --arch=armel --foreign

Then copy the image that makes onto the pogoplug and run deboostrap
--second-stage (to do the unpacking and installing and configuring)

That might well work a lot better.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/