Re: is debian debootstrap arch dependent ? or broken- its BROKEN

On Mon, 19 May 2014 16:56:06 -0400
"Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 03:47:32PM +0100, RichardBown wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 May 2014 10:14:13 -0400
> > "Lennart Sorensen" <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> > <huge chop to save space>
> >
> > Hi Len
> > It must be just a stupid pogoplug,
> > I changed to the main US mirror, and got this:-
> >
> > I: Retrieving xz-utils
> > W: Retrying failed download of
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
> > W: Retrying failed download of
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
> > W: Retrying failed download of
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
> > I: Validating xz-utils W:
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
> > was corrupt W: Couldn't download package xz-utils I: Retrieving
> > zlib1g W: Retrying failed download of
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zlib/zlib1g_1.2.7.dfsg-13_armel.deb
> > W: Retrying failed download of
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zlib/zlib1g_1.2.7.dfsg-13_armel.deb
> > W: Retrying failed download of
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zlib/zlib1g_1.2.7.dfsg-13_armel.deb
> > I: Validating zlib1g W:
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/z/zlib/zlib1g_1.2.7.dfsg-13_armel.deb
> > was corrupt W: Couldn't download package zlib1g I: Chosen extractor
> > for .deb packages: ar W: Failure trying to run: chroot /tmp/debian
> > mount -t proc proc /proc debootstrap failed.
> > See /tmp/debian/debootstrap/debootstrap.log for more information.
> >
> > So I double checked the site address, and then copied and pasted the
> > url from the line and ran wget manually
> > Pogoplug:/tmp$ wget
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
> > Connecting to ftp.us.debian.org (128.30.2.36:80)
> > xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+ 100%
> > |****************************************************************************|
> > 233k 00:00:00 ETA Pogoplug:/tmp$
> >
> > So definitely something in debootstrap 1.0.48 thats broken for
> > pogopigs.
> >
> > try loading squeeze
>
> You wouldn't happen to be going through a proxy?  I remember in the
> past seeing some proxies corrupt debian packages because they were to
> stupid to just leave things marked as binaries alone.
>
> Of course the fact it keeps retrying to download it is not a good
> sign. That's just really weird.
>
> I wonder if changing from http to ftp would help?  apt and debootstrap
> and wget are all fine with it and most of the mirrors handle it (as
> one would guess from their names).

Hi Len

No no proxy servers anywhere, and I did change from a http debian
mirror to an ftp mirror, the main US one.

But if I can cut and paste from one of the lines which failed with
debootstap and then down load the same file with success with wget,
that point to one thing and one thing only
deboostrap.
its at the point where it determines the arch of the system in use, and
fail with a pogoplug , as it uses dpkg, and dpkg is not in the pogoplug
busybox.

So it doesn't know what its downloading for, so everything will seem
corrupted.
I guess I could start debootstrap with the arch switch set for armel,
but I should have to edit a package, and then there is the problem
of downloading the package, editing, then unloading to my web site so I
cam use wget to load it on the pogoplug.

I dont know about other armel devices, but if some developer hadn't
decided that the load to usb stick installer would no longer be
available for armel, still available for armhf.

As far as the pogoplug and anything else that uses the same version of
Busybox DEBOOTSTRAP IS BROKEN.

Shame, I prefer debian to arch linux as pacman is a PITA so is the
netctl implementation, but I'm stuck with it as their install method
is to load a tar ball and install the base system from that.

Just the thing that Debian scrapped for ARMEL.
Could raise it as a bug, but it wont get fixed.

So if I want to play with debian arm, I'll have to find something else.

thanks for the help Len

Best wishes /73
Richard Bown
Email : richard@g8jvm.com
HTTP  :  http://www.g8jvm.com
nil carborundum a illegitemis
Ham Call G8JVM . OS Linux Mint 16 x86_64 on a Dell Inspiron N5030 laptop
Maidenhead QRA: IO82SP38, LAT. 52 39.720' N LONG. 2 28.171 W
QRV VHF 6mtrs 200W, 4 mtrs 150W, 2mtrs 400W, 70cms 200W
Microwave 23 cms 140W, 13 cms 100W, 6 cms 0W & 3cms 5W