Re: is debian debootstrap arch dependent ? or broken- its BROKEN

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 11:01:11PM +0100, RichardBown wrote:
> > > W: Retrying failed download of
> > > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/x/xz-utils/xz-utils_5.1.1alpha+20120614-2_armel.deb
>
> No no proxy servers anywhere, and I did change from a http debian
> mirror to an ftp mirror, the main US one.

Well yes, but did you actually change the protocol to ftp:// ?  The line
above says you did not.

> But if I can cut and paste from one of the lines which failed with
> debootstap and then down load the same file with success with wget,
> that point to one thing and one thing only
> deboostrap.
> its at the point where it determines the arch of the system in use, and
> fail with a pogoplug , as it uses dpkg, and dpkg is not in the pogoplug
> busybox.
>
> So it doesn't know what its downloading for, so everything will seem
> corrupted.

Well wget (not debootstrap) says the downloads are failing and retrying
as far as I can tell.

> I guess I could start debootstrap with the arch switch set for armel,
> but I should have to edit a package, and then there is the problem
> of downloading the package, editing, then unloading to my web site so I
> cam use wget to load it on the pogoplug.

Given the downloads are for armel, it seems it has figured that part
out correctly.

> I dont know about other armel devices, but if some developer hadn't
> decided that the load to usb stick installer would no longer be
> available for armel, still available for armhf.
>
> As far as the pogoplug and anything else that uses the same version of
> Busybox DEBOOTSTRAP IS BROKEN.
>
> Shame, I prefer debian to arch linux as pacman is a PITA so is the
> netctl implementation, but I'm stuck with it as their install method
> is to load a tar ball and install the base system from that.
>
> Just the thing that Debian scrapped for ARMEL.
> Could raise it as a bug, but it wont get fixed.

Yeah I must admit all the hardware I care to see working as a user is
armhf based.

> So if I want to play with debian arm, I'll have to find something else.

Well lots of options out there.

For cheap options that run armhf, there is the beaglebone black, although
it can be hard to find in stock due to the popularity.

For fast, there are things like the armdale octa, but I must admit
(given I have a couple on my desk at work), that the support for them
in linux is bleeding edge and far from done and I don't expect debian
support any time soon (although I am of course running debian wheezy on
them anyhow just with a custom kernel).

Certainly the beaglebone has pre made SD images you just extract of
Debian and pop it in and you are done.  No uboot flashing or other
hassles.

--
Len Sorensen