Re: Shutdown button not working on LXDE environment

I could turn off my system from Lxpanel. After which I installed Cairo dock and removed lxpanel. Shut down menu from the application launcher in the dock performs no action.

 Regards,

Divya Subramanian

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 9:14 AM, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 8:05 PM, Divya Subramanian wrote:

> I checked it but no such packages are removed.

Seems I was mistaken, I thought you were talking about a hardware button.

> Where does the shut down button from application menu mapsto ?

That depends on the software in question. At a guess, lxpanel is
package containing the shutdown button for LXDE. Looking at
codesearch.d.n for lxpanel I found that shutdown in lxpanel uses gdm
or hal. hal has been removed from Debian so I doubt you are using
that. IIRC gdm requires systemd interfaces. Searching the Internet for
systemd shutdown debian, I found some related links, including that
this is a known bug. The issue is that the LXDE support for
systemd/logind is buggy. Your options are to get an NMU of lxsession
with the Maeiga/upstream patch included, get involved in the LXDE team
and help them maintain it and fix the bug, switch back to sysvinit or
ignore it for now and use systemctl poweroff/init 0/shutdown -h now.

http://sources.debian.net/src/lxpanel/latest/debian/lxpanel.README.Debian
https://bugs.debian.org/730123
https://bugs.debian.org/731489

BTW: LXDE will be probably soon be removed from Debian to make way for
the rewrite called LXQt.

--
bye,
pabs