Re: arm64 update - help wanted

+++ peter green [2014-05-15 03:29 +0100]:
> Wookey wrote:
> >The debian-port arm64 rebootstrap is progressing nicely, and we just
> >passed 4200 source packages built, with another few hundred
> >pending. There are now 2 buildds running.
> Cool, have you seen any news on when we might actually be able to
> buy the stuff (which afaict is a prerequisite for getting into
> Debian)

No-one tells me things like that...

I expect stuff will be available by the end of this year, but for all
I know someone is about to announce something next week.

> >Anyone who is interested in doing this work, or just has some idea of
> >how much work is involved, do please pipe up (I don't know if each of
> >these is 6 months or 6 minutes). There is a porter box available.
> Any further info on this? google, the debian machines database and
> the arm64 wiki page don't seem to be turning anything up.

It's not set up within the Debian infra yet - I need to find out
what's needed for that (and get a tuit). For now it's just a box with
manual setup; you just ask me to sort out an account.

> >GHCi (ghc is done, but not ghci - is this hard?)
> Note that 32-bit arm doesn't currently have ghci either.
>
> I don't do haskell but I have googled the issue with no ghci on arm
> before and iirc it's a problem with their "runtime linker", there
> was a suggestion of punting that functionality to llvm but I didn't
> find any evidence of anything coming from it.
> >Pascal
> A google search turns up some github links to what appears to be an
> attempt at a port but i've no idea if it's a usable port or not.
> Might be worth following them up and finding out what the status is.

OK, cheers for that.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/