Re: Official support Odroid hardware and other ARM development boards.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:57 AM, Eric Nelson
<eric.nelson@boundarydevices.com> wrote:
> Hi Luke,
>

> On 02/27/2014 03:02 PM, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Eric Nelson
>> <eric.nelson@boundarydevices.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback Luke.
>>

>>   no problem sah.  btw, the sabre lite pcb cad/cam files i received
>> from one of your associates were really useful.  i was able to create
>> - with a lot of effort(!) an EOMA68-iMX6 design.  sadly nobody's come
>> forward with the funds to see it through to production, but hey...
>>

> :)
>
> At least you're not hitting us up left and right for support,
> like some of the other folks who've done this...

 *lol*  neeeh.  see, i get the whole software libre concept too.
don't burden other people!  it was fun cramming things down into 6
layers (1.2mm PCB, only 43x75mm....  *shudder*

>> [this is why i designed the EOMA68 platform, btw, so that the majority
>> of the cost of product development could be focussed in the "base" -
>> the chassis, then later we could look at doing an FSF-Endorseable CPU
>> Card with less features]
>>

> Interesting. We'll have to take a look at that.

 http://rhombus-tech.net/community_ideas/ - those are base-board
concepts at varying degrees of completion.  the one that we need to
get word out about is "improv":

   https://makeplaylive.com/#/open-hardware/improv

 if people buy that, it gets the ball rolling.  for that CPU Card
(A20) there's some reverse-engineering efforts going on with the VPU,
there: H264 and MPEG decode are now successfully done.  and the GPU -
MALI - is also being done (limadriver.org, headed by luc).

 on the FSF-side: over the past 2+ years i've done a detailed
evaluation dozens of SoCs: the only ones that come remotely close to
being FSF-Endorseable as well as available in the kinds of small
volumes _and_ have PCB schematics that someone with my skill-set can
start from are things like the old OMAP3525, and some of the AM
series.  the one that's used in the beaglebone for example.  except...
the damn things are missing SATA! argh...

>>   ubuntu also uses debian installer.  i understand that they still cut
>> much of this stuff over from debian, where they haven't continued the
>> silliness of an entire fork of the debian distro.... *sigh* :)
>>

> Ever try telling programmers what to do?

 i regularly get accused of doing exactly that, when in full
recognition of that, the reality is that i'm doing nothing of the
sort.  i should perhaps put it in a top-posted .sig "read my .sig! i
am not ordering you what to do!"

> (of course you have, so
> you know that from many vantage points, freedom looks like chaos).

 yeahhh.  brownian programming.  *rueful* there's something to be said
for a corporate-driven single-minded strategy...

l.