Re: Debian ARM Device Support in 2014

On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 19:26 +0100, Peter Bauer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Where can I read more about Debian on ARM devices and the current state
> of development ?
> Which devices are going to be supported in 2014 ?
[...]
> Whom could I ask if this devices will be officially supported
> by the next Debian version ?

In practice these things are usually done by people who own the device
scratching their own itch.

> Is there a more up to date info page on Debian ARM ?
> http://www.debian.org/ports/arm/index.en.html
> Where can I read more about armmp ?

armmp is the name of the Debian kernel flavour (i..e configuration)
which uses the results of upstream push towards a "multiplatform"
kernel. That is a single kernel binary which can run on multiple
platforms (in contrast to the historical practice of requiring a
different configuration for each class of machine). All new platforms
supported upstream need to be multiplatform and we are moving towards a
similar policy in the Debian armhf port.

AFAIK the IMX6 processors are already supported upstream in the MP
configuration and IIRC we already enable it in the Debian armmp flavour
kernels.

> If it is desired I could help with testing new
> components (installer, kernel, applications) on this devices.

If the device is going to be supported by mainline (with DTB) then it is
probably sufficient to just let us know which options (if any) we need
to enable in the Debian kernel configs. Since we already have some IMX6
support for some platforms it might just come For Free once we pickup
whichever upstream kernel version adds the support for the particular
platform (in an ideal world you'd be able to source a DTB for the device
and try it with an existing kernel, worth a go but we probably aren't at
that stage yet).

Ian.