Re: recommend a netbook for Debian deployment?

On 6 November 2013 19:26, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

>> ...funnily, I do. My main aim (hypothetical for now, I'm only looking
>> at feasibility) would be to port a Second Life viewer. I'm likely to
>> get crashes after a few hours of heavy use anyway for quite some time
>> - if it is stable for an hour it would be a smashing success. As a
>> maximum aim, If it supports full OpenGL somewhere near what, at least,
>> a 6-7 year old basic dedicated GPU did, then *I want it*.
>
> Do you want crashes that you can't ever fix?  That sounds hugely
> frustrating.

I don't *want* them, but I do want performance. And I'm somewhat used
to them, although in the previous hardware the reason was simply
pushing to the limits and overheating.

>> Wait, is PowerVR rebranded as Intel HD Graphics? I'm getting confused
>> - again probably my fault (just trying to understand how stuff works).
>
> No intel calls it the GMA500.

Which means there is a working open source driver?

>> I'll look that up, but the question is whether there is an
>> alternative. Although at the $300 mark, where the 1040 is aiming,
>> there probably is, the AMD C-50, with its stellar GPU performance. But
>> if no one is doing an open design based on that, there is probably a
>> good reason for it that anyone more knowledgeable than I probably
>> knows very well?

Still wondering about that. If I could have a C-50 device it would be
just purrrfection.

>> Cool. But I guess the A10 GPU (Mali400) is pretty basic compared to
>> the aforementioned PowerVR?
>
> My understanding is that it is much simpler and more obvious how to
> operate it, so at least people are working on creating drivers (even if
> that isn't done yet).

The driver project is http://limadriver.org/ and appears to be a
reverse-engineering attempt.

>> I'll keep watching the space, as if I go for a tablet at all, it has
>> to be 9+ inch non-widescreen and with a wired keyboard case. But THAT
>> would be a real incentive to go for it (basically it would replace two
>> devices that I need).
>
> I think the vast majority of people want widescreen to watch videos,
> so you may be on your own there and end up with hardly any choices ever.

OK, full disclosure - my wife is a musician and she uses a lot of PDF
scores. A 9+ inch non-widescreen display would finally give her an
alternative to paper. (GNU/Linux is not essential for the task, but if
there was a tablet+keyboard of this format and with GNU/Linux, it
would work for both her and me).

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik