Re: recommend a netbook for Debian deployment?

On Wed, Nov 06, 2013 at 07:08:38PM +0000, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> ...funnily, I do. My main aim (hypothetical for now, I'm only looking
> at feasibility) would be to port a Second Life viewer. I'm likely to
> get crashes after a few hours of heavy use anyway for quite some time
> - if it is stable for an hour it would be a smashing success. As a
> maximum aim, If it supports full OpenGL somewhere near what, at least,
> a 6-7 year old basic dedicated GPU did, then *I want it*.

Do you want crashes that you can't ever fix?  That sounds hugely
frustrating.

> Wait, is PowerVR rebranded as Intel HD Graphics? I'm getting confused
> - again probably my fault (just trying to understand how stuff works).

No intel calls it the GMA500.  Also included in a number of intel CExxxx
CPUs, which are mostly Atom CPU with SGX535 built in.  It is what is in
the paulsbo chipset that a lot of atom based netbooks have used.
The GMA600 is a slightly faster version of the same thing.

> I'll look that up, but the question is whether there is an
> alternative. Although at the $300 mark, where the 1040 is aiming,
> there probably is, the AMD C-50, with its stellar GPU performance. But
> if no one is doing an open design based on that, there is probably a
> good reason for it that anyone more knowledgeable than I probably
> knows very well?
>
> Of course I remember PCMCIA. And it sounds like a very good idea.
>
> Cool. But I guess the A10 GPU (Mali400) is pretty basic compared to
> the aforementioned PowerVR?

My understanding is that it is much simpler and more obvious how to
operate it, so at least people are working on creating drivers (even if
that isn't done yet).

> I'll keep watching the space, as if I go for a tablet at all, it has
> to be 9+ inch non-widescreen and with a wired keyboard case. But THAT
> would be a real incentive to go for it (basically it would replace two
> devices that I need).

I think the vast majority of people want widescreen to watch videos,
so you may be on your own there and end up with hardly any choices ever.
Also since almost everything uses widescreens these days, those are
likely to be much cheaper to get as well.  A widescreen is also quite
good for reading when in portrait mode.

--
Len Sorensen