Re: AW: Unable to boot QNAP TS-119 since update on 12 Nov

Hi Felix,

>> 1) Flash Debian installer and use that to access your system on disk
>> and flash the old kernel using "flash-kernel <version>"; see
>> http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/installer-flash-kernel
>
> I keep getting "Failed to obtain MAC" because eth0 seems to think it's MAC address is 00:00:00:00:05:09. I had hoped this issue would go away after reflashing the QNAP firmware and reformatting my harddrive. Unforturnately this didn't turn out to be the case. Is there any way to get around this? (you mentioned that you had identified the cause and were going to write it uo in http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2010/05/msg00052.html but I haven't found any further information on this issue)

There is one method which consist to reset your hardware (uboot) parameters.
You'll then can read, and also write to your uboot environments varialbes, where is located the MAC adresses.

*TAKE CARE* ; without serial console access, in case of any error, you can break your installation and brick your hardware, rendering it useless !

You can also force the MAC adresses with command line (ethtool I suppose) and then help installer-flash-kernel script correct it ?
Or the solution I preffer; modify temporarly the script installer-flash-kernel to force the MAC @adress.

I have never used QNAP hardware and cannot help you more than with theory...
May be I am wrong on can be corrected by someone on the list.

Regards,
Gérald