Re: Unable to boot QNAP TS-119 since update on 12 Nov

* Felix Andreas Braun <felix.braun@mail.mcgill.ca> [2013-11-16 06:34]:
> cat /dev/mtdblock0 /dev/mtdblock4 /dev/mtdblock5 /dev/mtdblock1
> /dev/mtdblock2 /dev/mtdblock3 > F_TS-119_debian
>
> and make that available for download, so that I can directly flash
> it, then that might spare me the process of having my disk wiped by
> the original firmware and re-installing from scratch. However, I'm
> not sure the boot will succeed (at least until sshd is started) if
> the flash doesn't match the debian version on disk. Martin?

It won't work because the initramfs contains the UUID of your root
partition.  UUID is a unique ID.

You have two options:

1) Flash Debian installer and use that to access your system on disk
and flash the old kernel using "flash-kernel <version>"; see
http://www.cyrius.com/journal/debian/installer-flash-kernel

2) Copy the old kernel/ramdisk from disk and generate a recovery image
from them.  As I mentioned, this is currently not documented on my
page and I'm travelling at the moment.  I might be able to write some
instructions next week but you could just go with option 1).
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/