Re: recommend a netbook for Debian deployment?

On 6 November 2013 02:17, Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> wrote:

>> I would very much appreciate recommendation of a particular model
>> where someone has already succeeded in deploying Debian.
>
> Google Chromebooks appear to be popular, some info about them here:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Samsung/ARMChromebook

Thanks - but they are on the much more expensive side. If I went for
that level I could as well get an Intel-based Chromebook (or an eee
pc). However, for a machine that is carried around and inherently can
be lost, I'd prefer the "around $100" mark of the Chinese netbooks -
at least if someone already got one to work!

>> Also, I'd really like to use OpenGL there (to the extent it is
>> supported). The GPU in VIA 8850 appears to be the Mali 400, and there
>> is a binary driver for it here: http://linux-sunxi.org/Binary_drivers
>
> Best go with the FLOSS driver instead:
>
> http://limadriver.org/

That site says:

The Lima driver currently only has some preliminary and highly
experimental support. This experimental phase is necessary to gain a
full and complete understanding of how the Mali GPUs work. Once more
is known, an actual graphics driver (most likely based off of
Mesa/Gallium) can be written. There is a lot of interesting work that
still needs to be done!

Does not appear to be production-ready. I would however gladly install
it too, to run tests and assist the dev team in debugging on my
particular hardware.

That is, if I get any hardware.

(Mu ultimate aim would be to try and port a Second Life viewer. But
before I even touch that I need to make sure I have the actual system
running, and OpenGL available).

--
Yours, Mikhail Ramendik