Re: Will it work for QNAP 420?

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 01:04:59PM +0200, George Sedov wrote:
> Thanks for your replies.
>
> I have another question: everybody tells me that ARM processors are a
> way too slow for raid5+samba+transmission+openvpn, but the only
> information I got on ARM's performance is that Marvell's 1.6 GHz
> kirkwood chips are close to atom N270.
>
> I guess you have some practical experience with ARMs, can you tell me if
> Marvell's chips will be able to run all these tasks?

Well some chips have XOR DMA engines, which can make raid5 quite fast
without using much CPU.

Some have crypto engines that can offload work for ipsec and openvpn.

So it depends on exactly which chip.

In the case of teh qnap ts-420, the CPU is a marvell 6282, which has
XOR DMA engines, and supposedly some security engine.  Raid5 should be
quite good.  Not sure what the support for the security engine is like
in linux or what the performance is likely to be if it is supported.

--
Len Sorensen