Re: Build failure for armhf/armmp, linux 3.11-rc4

On Mon, 2013-08-19 at 11:41 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 06:25:44PM +0200, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > On Fri, 2013-08-16 at 11:34 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
>
> > > Please use the advertised e-mail addresses for maintainers.
>
> > Expand, please?  I took your address from the commit that Robert pointed
> > out.
>
> You're better off with MAINTAINERS - several people advertise and use
> non-work e-mail addresses but sign off with a work one.
>
> > > I doubt many people are actually building them as modules except for
> > > compile testing or with another reason for the kernel to be tainted.
>
> > In a multi-platform config I think this will now be the *normal* state,
> > as the dependent drivers should be modules.
>
> The point is that I rather doubt anyone working on the drivers cares so
> long as they build in modular configurations.
>
> > I'm still failing to see *how* that fix works, anyway.  Seems like a
> > workaround for some other problem.
>
> Could you be more specific as to what you believe the problem that
> exists is?  You mentioned that the kernel would be tainted but that
> doesn't seem like a not working thing...

The problem explained in the commit message for commit
3f1a91aa25579ba5e7268a47a73d2a83e4802c62.

imx-pcm-{dma,fiq}.o are exporting various symbols used by
snd-soc-{fsl,imx}-ssi.o.  Obviously, a module can use symbols exported
from both built-in and modular code.  And yet for some reason this
didn't work when the exports were built-in and did work when they were
built as modules.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The obvious mathematical breakthrough [to break modern encryption] would be