Re: Upgrading u-boot on Dreamplug

On 06/11/2013 02:18 PM, Tixy wrote:
On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 10:49 -0400, Philippe Clérié wrote:
On 06/11/2013 09:56 AM, Eric Cooper wrote:
On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 08:46:01AM -0400, Philippe Clérié wrote:
[...]
Help does not list a _nand_ command and there does not seem to be a
likely replacement.

Are there other options?

You should be able to do the equivalent from Linux, using nandwrite from
mtd-utils.

Maybe I panicked to soon. There are other instructions that seem closer
to the mark, notably at:
http://freedomboxfoundation.org/ubootUpgradeInstructions/index.en.html.

It seems that the correct command to use is _sf_. Right now, I am trying
to figure out where to load the new u-boot image. It looks something
like this:

usb start
fatload usb 2:1 0x6400000 u-boot.kwb
sf probe 0:0
sf erase 0x0 0x100000
sf write 0x6400000 0x0 (length of u-boot.kwb in Hex)

Now if I could get confirmation that this set of commands will in fact
work... :-)

I went through this pain a few weeks ago, see the archives [1] for the
full saga and the help I got from this list. The upshot is that the
commands you quote above from the FreedomBox site should work.

I managed to brick my plug when I first tried so might have mistyped
something, but those same commands worked after I eventually de-brucked
the DreamPlug.

I do note the size to erase is twice that mentioned by one of the
respondents to my thread [2], and I'm not sure what I used in the end.
Not sure that it would make much difference, unless the bigger value
also makes sure any on U-Boot environment is erased.

To add to the confusion, at boot, U-Boot shows

   SF: Detected MX25L1606 with page size 256, total 1 MiB

and 1MiB is 0x100000, but the datasheet for the MX25L1606 says it's
16Mib i.e. 2MiB.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2013/05/msg00091.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2013/05/msg00103.html

Yes! That works. But now, the kernel gets loaded but does not boot.

I tried to install Wheezy following Martin Mychlmayr's guide with the same results. One problem might be that Martin's guide loads the kernel at 0x00800000 while most other instructions give 0x06400000. I'd like to try loading at that address but I also need the address at which to load the initrd. You wouldn't know it by any luck? :-)

Regards

--
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense it that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>