Re: Upgrading u-boot on Dreamplug

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 10:49 -0400, Philippe Clérié wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 09:56 AM, Eric Cooper wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 08:46:01AM -0400, Philippe Clérié wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> Help does not list a _nand_ command and there does not seem to be a
> >> likely replacement.
> >>
> >> Are there other options?
> >
> > You should be able to do the equivalent from Linux, using nandwrite from
> > mtd-utils.
> >

> Maybe I panicked to soon. There are other instructions that seem closer
> to the mark, notably at:
> http://freedomboxfoundation.org/ubootUpgradeInstructions/index.en.html.
>
> It seems that the correct command to use is _sf_. Right now, I am trying
> to figure out where to load the new u-boot image. It looks something
> like this:
>
> usb start
> fatload usb 2:1 0x6400000 u-boot.kwb
> sf probe 0:0
> sf erase 0x0 0x100000
> sf write 0x6400000 0x0 (length of u-boot.kwb in Hex)
>
> Now if I could get confirmation that this set of commands will in fact
> work... :-)

I went through this pain a few weeks ago, see the archives [1] for the
full saga and the help I got from this list. The upshot is that the
commands you quote above from the FreedomBox site should work.

I managed to brick my plug when I first tried so might have mistyped
something, but those same commands worked after I eventually de-brucked
the DreamPlug.

I do note the size to erase is twice that mentioned by one of the
respondents to my thread [2], and I'm not sure what I used in the end.
Not sure that it would make much difference, unless the bigger value
also makes sure any on U-Boot environment is erased.

To add to the confusion, at boot, U-Boot shows

  SF: Detected MX25L1606 with page size 256, total 1 MiB

and 1MiB is 0x100000, but the datasheet for the MX25L1606 says it's
16Mib i.e. 2MiB.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2013/05/msg00091.html
[2] http://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2013/05/msg00103.html

--