Re: Plug computer with two eth

On Sun, 3 Mar 2013 09:59:56 -0600
Bill Gatliff <bgat@billgatliff.com> allegedly wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Ted To <rainexpected@theo.to> wrote:
> > Globalscale has a couple with two ethernet ports but they are not
> > as cheap as the typical plug computer. Never used one so I can't
> > tell you much else.
>
> I'm ambivalent to the Globalscale Dreamplug.  I purchased one, and was
> VERY pleased that it came with Debian already pre-installed.  But I
> was greatly concerned from the beginning at how hot it runs, so I have
> been careful to keep it well-ventilated.
>
> About two months of putting it into service, it started OOPSing with
> command timeouts from the internal SD card.  And they got
> progressively quicker as time marched on.  The thing is basically
> unusable after three months.  I don't know if this issue is
> heat-related, but I can't help but wonder.  Especially since the
> system boots and runs fine when it's cool, and I haven't seen any
> OOPSes until things are fairly well heat-soaked and I'm leaning on the
> filesystem (apt-get update, etc.).

I have used a sheevaplug for some time and it too gets very hot. Worse,
the PSU gives up after anywhere from 3 months to a year. I had one
last a year, my last one gave up after about 8 months. I considered the
dreamplug as a potential firewall device, but given my experience of
the sheeva (and comments on various fora on-line) I just wouldn't trust
it.

Mick

blog: baldric.net
gpg fingerprint: FC23 3338 F664 5E66 876B  72C0 0A1F E60B 5BAD D312