Re: Plug computer with two eth

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM, Ted To <rainexpected@theo.to> wrote:
> Globalscale has a couple with two ethernet ports but they are not as cheap
> as the typical plug computer. Never used one so I can't tell you much else.

I'm ambivalent to the Globalscale Dreamplug.  I purchased one, and was
VERY pleased that it came with Debian already pre-installed.  But I
was greatly concerned from the beginning at how hot it runs, so I have
been careful to keep it well-ventilated.

About two months of putting it into service, it started OOPSing with
command timeouts from the internal SD card.  And they got
progressively quicker as time marched on.  The thing is basically
unusable after three months.  I don't know if this issue is
heat-related, but I can't help but wonder.  Especially since the
system boots and runs fine when it's cool, and I haven't seen any
OOPSes until things are fairly well heat-soaked and I'm leaning on the
filesystem (apt-get update, etc.).

Have raised the issue with Globalscale support, still awaiting a response.

In the big picture, I've got lots of examples of hardware here that
isn't commercially available, but could do the job AND doesn't run hot
to the touch.  I don't understand why this device (and just about
every other Marvell chip I have ever encountered) has to kick out so
much heat.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff