Re: iMX6 EOMA-68 CPU Card

Lennart:

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Well a standard firmware that initialized hardware and then calls a
> dedicated bootloader like grub that resides on sata is certainly very
> convinient and I wish arm boards would start doing something like that.
> I am not sure they will ever get taken seriously in the server market
> if they don't.  openfirmware seems to do that nicely on powerpc and
> sparc systems (and I believe some mips systems too).  No reason arm
> couldn't do that too (and of course switch to devicetree for passing
> info about the system to the kernel at the same time).

Thing is, by the time you make a bootloader that intelligent, you are
well on your way to reinventing the things Linux+initramfs can already
do better---and that's even before you consider the device driver
implications.  That's why I tend to go that route, rather than making
a super-bootloader.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff