Re: iMX6 EOMA-68 CPU Card

Guys:

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Lennart Sorensen
<lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 12:51:13AM +0000, luke.leighton wrote:
>> http://rhombus-tech.net/freescale/iMX6/news/
>
> I know the iMX53 boots from SD.  Not sure what the iMX6 boots from.
> As long as I can use SATA for my filesystem and only have to put the
> boot loader somewhere (although on SATA would be by far the most ideal),
> then NAND flash is of no interest what so ever.

My vote would go in the exact opposite direction: the board has to
boot from NAND (or eMMC), and then step over to SATA if present.
Among other things, that makes it realistic that a new developer boots
it by merely plugging in the USB cable for the serial console.

And don't go all u-boot on me, either, except as a quick jump to a
Linux kernel+initramfs that most developers will see as the real
"bootloader".  That lets you use usb-storage to manage the NAND
partitions, SATA if connected, SSH/telnet to the "bootloader", and so
on.  And then kexec to the developer's kernel if they provide their
own.  And manpages for same.

That way, all the bad parts of u-boot et. al never see the light of
day.  As it should be.  :-)

Viola! Much easier to work with than a lot of existing hardware, and
darned unlikely to brick as well.

Disclaimer: the above describes how I do my boards.  Get me one of
these, and I'll show you.  I also make pretty extensive use of
multistrap et. al from the embedded Debian project, to keep the target
filesystem AND developer tools in sync.

This isn't me self-promoting (ok, not much).  Rather, Debian is just
MADE to make this stuff awesome.  I'm merely a lowly user thereof.

b.g.
--
Bill Gatliff
bgat@billgatliff.com