Re: uboot-envtools parameter file for Marvel OpenRD "ultimate"

On Aug 13, 2012, at 12:17 AM, shawn wrote:

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 20:15 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
On Aug 12, 2012, at 6:04 PM, shawn wrote:

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 17:52 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:

*) Presumably making the mtd partition starting at zero visible to
Linux will alter the names of the other mtd partitions.  Is this
going
to cause any problems down the line?  like, with the programs that
write the kernel and initrd to flash during an upgrade? will they
have
names like "mtd0" hard coded? or do they somehow find their targets
adaptively?

it does not change the given names, only the numbered names

I apologize for my density, but what do you mean by "numbered names"
and "given names"?

I can't find anything in /dev/ other than /dev/mtd[012]{,ro} and / dev/
mtdblock[012] which, to my inexperienced eye, look like "numbered
names".  There's nothing in /dev that looks like *uImage*, for
example...
cat /proc/mtd

This gives me:
    dev:    size   erasesize  name
    mtd0: 00100000 00020000 "u-boot"
    mtd1: 00400000 00020000 "uImage"
    mtd2: 1fb00000 00020000 "root"

So let me see if I'm understanding what you're trying to say:

The programs that write the kernel and initrd (and other things -- uboot updates?) to flash can look in /proc/mtd to get the correlation between numbered device names and given names? And they can be relied upon to do that (and only that) when they need a device name?

If that's correct, let me ask two more questions...

*) How does one calculate the "start address" parts of the mtdparts in the command line? Is it sufficient to add up (in hex, of course) the lengths of the parts that precede it?

*) What's the significance of the "ubi" stuff? Is this something that can be copy/pasted literally from your example, or does it need adapting for any given situation? Or is it irrelevant since I'm booting from an ext2 filesystem on a USB hard disk? As a point of reference, the cmdline it boots with right now is extremely simple:
    $ cat /proc/cmdline
    console=ttyS0,115200

Thanks!
Rick