Re: uboot-envtools parameter file for Marvel OpenRD "ultimate"

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 15:29 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> On Aug 12, 2012, at 12:22 AM, shawn wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 23:47 -0700, Rick Thomas wrote:
> >> The "examples" directory for the uboot-envtools contains sample
> >> fw_env.config files for several machine types, but not one that seems
> >> to relate to my Marvell OpenRD "ultimate" box.  Does anybody on this
> >> list have one?
> >>
> >> Given the popularity of Debian on the Marvell "plug" machines, does
> >> anybody know why they and the OpenRD boxes aren't represented there?
> >>
> >> Should I submit a "wishlist" bug?
> >
> > This works for my sheevaplug, however I had to change by root cmd
> > partitioning to have a partition for the start of the NAND:
> >
> > /dev/mtd0       0xa0000 0x020000        0x20000
> >

> > #my commandline:
> > # cat /proc/cmdline
> > console=ttyS0,115200 ubi.mtd=2 root=ubi0:rootfs rootfstype=ubifs rw
> > mtdparts=orion_nand:0x100000@0x0(u-boot),0x400000@0x100000(uImage),0x1fb00000@0x500000(rootfs) rw
>

> Thanks, Shawn!  I'm not much up on the mtd stuff (read: while I understand all of the words and most of the syntax, the "cmdline" part of your reply is still greek to me).  Is there a good reference I could read on how it works and interacts between Uboot and Linux?  Failing that, could you give me an explanation of what your cmdline stuff does and why it's needed?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rick

man proc -> type "//proc/cmdline" -> hit [enter]

       /proc/cmdline
              Arguments passed to the Linux kernel at boot time.  Often
done  via  a  boot
              manager such as lilo(8) or grub(8).
the mtdparts= is how you specify the partitioning of NAND flash via the
kernel command line.
--
-Shawn Landden