Re: armel qualification for Wheezy

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 09:02:33PM +0100, Tixy wrote:
> I may be being naive, but could an X86 PC be used with an ARM chroot and
> qemu-arm-static to emulate ARM instructions? Or is qemu not stable
> enough, or the emulated environment different enough that package
> building would fail (e.g. through use of uname)?

It has been discussed before. Qemu linux-user is generally "stable enough"
these days as long as package being built doesn't try to anything fancy
(eg. run testsuites). That said when you hit problems, 1) they might
slip under the radar and users end up hitting them much later 2)
debugging and fixing them might be timeconsuming - we still have
deadlocks in qemu threading code which have been hunted for years.

So ideally I'd prefer ARM hardware targetted for servers - where the
current memory and IO bandwidth issues wouldn't be the problem it is
in the current mobile-targetted hardware.

Riku