Re: Advice on upgrading kernel from Squeeze 2.6 on SS4000-E

Hi, no answers received :-( so I'll share what I found myself.

> Some questions:
> 1) Would it magically work to install linux-image-3.2.0-3-iop32x from
> tesing or would I need to put the zImage file through YMODEM and
> modify boot_script_data?
After attaching debian backports and using apt-get install the 3.2.0-3
kernel it actually worked magically. Like on a PC. I don't know how
the actual kernel got updated. Is it the .deb post install scripts
updating mtd where I previously loaded the zImage or did it actually
fetch it from /dev/md0 where I have / (root)

> 2) Since I'm really after some relatively news stuff like ext4
> metadata checksums which is in 3.5, should I just use vanilla kernel +
> Arnaud's Patches, compile, put zImage through YMODEM?
Considering point above, I could just install experimental 3.5 kernel
images, which are available.
For a vanilla kernel (which I'm trying at the moment) I am using
www.emdebian.org to crosscompile to ARM.
Not sure if make-kpkg will produce a good .deb file for ARM though...

> 3) Are there any tutorials on this, including compiling a kernel for a
> different arch ? I'd rather compile on my laptop, than to choke Xscale
> with compiling the kernel.
Cross compiling seems to be the answer, which means using
www.emdebian.org and adding ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnu-eabi-
to make commands.

General recompiling on debian: