Re: Think i've killed my usb flash partitions

On Sun, 2012-09-02 at 17:39 +0100, Brian Platt wrote:
> Debian was running fine on my nslu2 until I added noatime to my fstab and rebooted and now it doesn't boot.
>
> when I inserted the usb flash into another linux machine I get
>
> Sep  2 17:21:07 homebox kernel: [ 2676.694615]  sde: unknown partition table
>
> and fdisk shows
>
> Disk /dev/sde: 15.7 GB, 15724707840 bytes
> 64 heads, 32 sectors/track, 14996 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 2048 * 512 = 1048576 bytes
> Disk identifier: 0xd2231a30
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
>
> Command (m for help):
>
> I also tried
>
> mount /dev/sde /mnt/usbstick
> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
>
> So where have my partitions gone? I REALLY need to get a single file off the / partition.

I suggest using  "testdisk" to scan your flashdrive as it looks as
though for some its lost the partition information and testdisk will
scan and see if it can find information that might show a partitions
start position... I guess by scanning for file system markers.

I don't think it has anything to do with the changes to your fstab but
was more bad luck.