Re: modern cheap NAS fully supported by Debian?

On Sat, Aug 4, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Rob van der Hoeven
<robvanderhoeven@ziggo.nl> wrote:
> On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 13:18 +0200, Spitz, Richard wrote:
>> > I love my orion based QNAP TS-109, and currently would upgrade to
>> > QNAP
>> > TS-119 if I would have the need, but QNAP isn't cheap. So maybe the
>> > Plug variants mentioned on the page instead.
>>
>> I've been following this discussion with great interest, since I am in
>> a similar
>> situation.
>>
>> What is the real advantage of running Debian on a NAS? I'm presently
>> using a
>> NSLU2 under Debian for collecting and graphing energy data in my home.
>> Now I
>> need a NAS, whose primary purpose is central data storage and backup,
>> while
>> using a minimal amount of energy. I am concerned that running Debian on
>> the
>> NAS and make it take over the NSLU2's tasks might counteract the energy
>> saving features of the NAS, such as disk spindown.
>>
>> Any ideas or experience on this?
>>

> I'm currently using Debian Squeeze on a QNAP TS-119 (The old fan-less
> model) for over a year now. My experiences are very good. The system is
> officially supported by Debian. Installing went very smooth, and most
> remarkably: I never had any serious problem even though i have a very
> weird configuration (I'm running several Wordpress blogs inside Linux
> Containers (LXC)). For me, converting my QNAP TS-119 from a dedicated
> NAS device into a general purpose computer was definitively worth the
> trouble.
>
> Here's a link to my hardware:
>
> http://freedomboxblog.nl/about/hardware/
>
> Just like you, i too am interested in energy consumption. My setup uses

      You are not alone. A while ago I read about this guy who had a
webserver for customers and went from a Sparc box to a laptop and then
to a Seagate Dockstar with external drive. And now it is being powered
by solar arrays, which also charge the batteries for when sun is not
out. I do not think I will has a setup that will use no grid power,
but I am trying to be as efficient as I can.

> about 11 Watt when idle. This could be reduced to 9 Watt if a more
> energy efficient hard-disk is used. My current hard-disk uses 4.5 Watt

      I think my Dockstar + external drive -- my backup rig -- use up
to 10W. I would like to get a fileserver that is as close to that as
possible.