Re: Marvell PXA168/128 meg/800x600 LCD

On Sat, Jun 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@cyrius.com> wrote:

>> Would any of the armel installers work on here do you think or would
>> I have to start from scratch?
>
> The installer won't work.  ARM is not like x86 where one
> kernel/installer will work on the majority of PCs.  On ARM, you need a
> kernel for each CPU/SoC platform and you have to add support in the
> installer for each platform and for each device.
>
> Debian doesn't offer a kernel for the PXA168 and neither do we have
> support in the installer.

 frans kindly did a debian-installer image for the CT-PC89E two years
ago: unfortunately i forgot to ask him to document how he did it.  at
some point in the very near future i'm going to have to do one for the
rhombus tech A10 EOMA-68 CPU Card. i've looked up the howto document
on creating a debian-installer image
(http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Arm/OtherPlatforms), and
couldn't really get a clear sense of where to start.

 the debian-installer otherplatforms document talks about tftp, which
may not be appropriate.  the preferred install method for A10-based
products such as the Mele A1000 (which is very popular on the
arm-netbooks list and also on internet forums because of its features
- including eSATA - and price) is an SD-Card.  would putting u-boot,
the kernel and an adapted initrd (for use with u-boot) onto the sd
card do the trick, do you think?  am i thinking that it's more
complicated than it seems?

l.