Re: Questions regarding armhf port for Raspberry Pi

+++ David Given [2012-03-07 11:13 +0000]:
> Mike Thompson wrote:
> > I am potentially interested in creating/maintaining a Debian port that
> > would mirror the work being done in armhf, but with the port tuned to
> > the specifics of the Raspberry Pi hardware which I believe is
> > ARMv6+VFPv2.
>
> Does Debian armhf still target ARMv7 and above? I can't find any
> definitive statement. I know that Ubuntu *does* target ARMv7+, which
> means that it won't work on the Pi (and Canonical have stated that they
> have no interest in supporting the Pi), but I thought Debian's
> requirements were different.

This presentation has a useful summary of which optimisations and ABIs
various distros have chosen for their ARM support:

http://wookware.org/talks/fosdem2012forARM.pdf (pages 7 and 8)

To save you all downloading 1.5Mb for <1K of text:
Ubuntu:
 * “armel” (v7, Thumb 2, EABI soft-float)
      still going, will ship in Precise (12.04), maybe with LTS?
 * “armhf” (v7, Thumb 2, EABI hard-float)
      mostly there, minor issues remaining
      will ship in Precise unless major problem

Debian:
 * “armel” (v4t, EABI soft-float)
     still going, will ship in Wheezy (7.0)
 * “armhf” (v7, Thumb 2, EABI hard-float)
     mostly there, minor issues remaining
     will ship in Wheezy unless major problems happen

OpenSUSE:
 * “armv7hl” (v7, Thumb 2, EABI hard-float)
      over 80% of the OpenSUSE archive built
      aiming for inclusion in 12.2, freeze by beginning of June
      aiming to be ready for SLED/SLES inclusion
 * “armv5” (v5, EABI soft-float)
      Secondary port, lower priority
      Left for community effort

Fedora:
 * “armv7hl” (v7, Thumb 2, EABI hard-float)
      much of F15 built
      aiming for inclusion as primary arch in F17, alpha build available
      big push by F18, ready for RHEL 7
 * “armv5tel” (v5, EABI soft-float)
      much of F15 built
      aiming for inclusion in F17, alpha build available
      base for Fedora respin for Raspberry Pi

Wookey
http://wookware.org/