Re: Kernel 3.2.2 on WD Sharespace

>> I have one of those "you shall get permission to publish" clauses at my place of employment, and despite frequent prodding they never said yes *or* no.

Just thought I should clarify this, it sounds a little dubious the way I put it before - any/all work I did on this stuff was my own time and equipment, the 'consulting with work legal' thing is simply a courtesy extended to them so they can consider whether or not hobby projects compete with their core business. No company would have any IP claim over anything I did here (it's all derivative anyway), and I got no reply after several months and several requests for comment clears which says to me 'no objection'.

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 1:21 AM, David Hicks <dave@nastylittlehorse.net> wrote:
>> setenv machid 3140

Oh, does that work? That would be handy and simpler than the way I've been doing it.
I  should introduce myself - I'm "the other guy" mentioned in the head of this thread. Really should have got around to publishing the sharespace additions I made to the orion5x stuff back in 2010, but somehow it all slipped by the wayside. I blame the lawyers... no really, I have one of those "you shall get permission to publish" clauses at my place of employment, and despite frequent prodding they never said yes *or* no. Anyway...

The way I'd handled machine type stuff was (IIRC at the advice of Martin MichlMayr) to use devio to set a device ID at the beginning of the zImage before wrapping it into the uImage. This script -

#!/bin/bash

devio > foo 'wl 0xe3a01c0c,4' 'wl 0xe3811044,4'
cat foo vmlinuz-3.1.8 > zImage.new
mv zImage.new vmlinuz-3.1.8
rm foo

mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x00008000 -e 0x00008000 -n "SharespaceKImage" -d vmlinuz-3.1.8 uImage
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T ramdisk -C gzip -a 0x0 -e 0x0 -n "SharespaceInitrd" -d initrd.img-3.1.8 uInitrd

Packages up my kernel and initrd. I'm afraid I'm a little lost on the intricacies of the image formats and have no idea how one would do that to a uImage directly. This I have working/booting with kernel 3.1.8. I'm assuming this is the area of interest here and I'm not just talking out of my ... well you get the picture. This is my first bout of kernel hacking and while I'm pretty pleased with the results I'm still not confident Iknow 100% what I've done.

D.

Hi,

You can look at http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/

> What is what boardid? How do i find what to set it to?

from uboot, set env machid needed like :
$ setenv machid 3140

Regards,