Re: Creating a home server from an Android media player

On Sat, 17 Dec 2011 23:09:37 +0200
Gal Goldschmidt <gal@cs.haifa.ac.il> allegedly wrote:

> I have being "playing" with arm Linux for years, mostly adding some
> software to proprietary systems. Without kernel and toolkit
> replacement. Recently I decided to set up a home server and I know
> about the DreamPlug, but with shipping it will reach ~$200 . I
> recently been watching all this Android players on DX, like the this
> one:
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/1080p-android-2-3-media-player-w-wifi-hdmi-sd-cortex-a9-1-0ghz-2gb-109791
>
> Did anyone managed to install Debian on one of these?

I recently bought an Archos 70 internet tablet
(http://www.archos.com/products/ta/archos_70it/index.html?country=us&lang=en)
for UKP 99.99 (down from the list of UKP 249.99). I bought it because
Archos is a fantastic media player and I have a /lot/ of DVDs ripped to
MP4. (I would not have been prepared to pay the silly original
price).

But. It can also run debian. ( See
http://archosfans.com/2011/06/10/archos-gen8-tablets-can-multi-boot-froyo-gingerbread-debian-angstrom-ubuntu-chromium-os-and-more/
Indeed,  Archos seem to encourage dual booting with other Linux variants
through their developer edition firmware release.
(http://www.archos.com/support/support_tech/_ppp.html?country=us&lang=en&p=gen8)

(Note. I have no personal experience of trying this. Using the
developer edition firmware automatically invalidates the warranty and I
acutually want to continue to use the tablet as is. If I had a spare
of course.....)

Mick

The text file for RFC 854 contains exactly 854 lines.
Do you think there is any cosmic significance in this?

Douglas E Comer - Internetworking with TCP/IP Volume 1

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc854.txt