Re: Creating a home server from an Android media player

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 9:09 PM, Gal Goldschmidt <gal@cs.haifa.ac.il> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have being "playing" with arm Linux for years, mostly adding some software
> to proprietary systems.
> Without kernel and toolkit replacement.
> Recently I decided to set up a home server and I know about the DreamPlug,
> but with shipping it will reach ~$200 .
> I recently been watching all this Android players on DX, like the this one:
> http://www.dealextreme.com/p/1080p-android-2-3-media-player-w-wifi-hdmi-sd-cortex-a9-1-0ghz-2gb-109791

 ok, sorry to advise you, but that's deception (i.e. factually
incorrect product reporting).  the AML-8726-M is a maximum of 800mhz,
and can only take up to 512mb RAM.  the _next_ version of their CPU -
the M3 - is capable of running at 1ghz, and can do 1gb of DDR3 RAM
buuut...

> Did anyone managed to install Debian on one of these?
> I also stumbled on this site and it gave me some hope.
> http://openlinux.amlogic.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

 ... ah.  right.  yes.  ahem.  we spoke to amlogic.  evaluated their
CPUs.  were getting on fine... and the ODMs that amlogic recommended
to us cost us a client, due to the ODM's blatant GPL violations.
incredibly embarrassing.

 AMLogic started off as a China-based company, with zero understanding
of the GPL, then was bought by a US-based company, which slapped a
stupid, stupid paranoid USA-style "legal" barrier in front of all
decision-making.

 the end result is that AMLogic as a company is now, sadly, the worst
of all possible worlds, caught between the worst ways in which chinese
companies operate and the worst ways in which USA-based companies
operate.  it's a real pity it's not the other way round, as it's
technically a great product.

 i cannot directly say more but i strongly advise you to steer clear
of amlogic products and CPUs, until they get themselves sorted out.
they've gone into "we're right, our lawyers told us so" mode, which
is... mmm.... bad.  they've placed themselves at terrible risk from
going down the toilet, instead of going "oops let's get this sorted!".

l.