Re: armhf TODO (was Re: Fosdem 2011: Debian on ARM)

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Konstantinos Margaritis
<markos@genesi-usa.com> wrote:

> Heh, I read that mail before but I forgot to reply.

 :)

> Basically, there is no
> such record. Porting involved lots and lots of hacks, porting debian to a new
> architecture is certainly not straightforward or "friendly" process, it
> requires too many failed attempts -build a package with those flags, then it
> fails, then you rebuild it again,

 ahh f***, f***, f*** and f***-it some more.  that's *exactly* the
information which needed to be recorded, and placed into an automated
system.  so the opportunity has been completely lost, already.
months of work down the toilet, so that the next person who wants to
do an architecture port has to, once again, spend months of their time
repeating the process.

 again, the chances are that, because no automated system has been
created, no automated system will be used.  and once again, they will
use a manual hack-it-and-forget-it approach, making the _next_
person's job just as equally difficult.

> OTOH, it's quite easy to see the diffs for most failed-on-armhf packages if
> you check the TODO wiki page, and/or the usertagged 'armhf' bugs on the Debian
> BTS.

 ok, so let me check: are you saying that at least the required
information can be derived?  that it *hasn't* been lost; that you
encoded the required information into the packages?

 i'm not sure what you're saying, here.

 l.