Re: xserver-xorg crashes due to evtouch

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:55 AM, Prasant J <pj0585@gmail.com> wrote:

>>  if it fails to build, then the bugreport can be raised.  if it works,
>> then a bugreport saying "this succeeded, please could someone do a
>> re-build of the packaging", yes?
>>
>>  l.
>>

> Luke, thanks for pointing out to me the above questions. I did
> recompile from the sources.
> I'm still getting the same error (as in the crash still exists).

 ah.  then it is an upstream bug, and hm, whilst it should be reported
using "reportbug xserver-xorg-input-evtouch", a bugreport should
really also be reported upstream at freedesktop.org.

 the reason for reporting the bug in the debian system is because
there may be a newer version available, and it just needs someone to
alter the packaging to pull the newer version out of the git
repository.

 if you're feeling adventurous, you might also like to consider trying
the following things:

 1) hacking the debian packaging - removing dh_strip (or something
like that) from debian/rules, recompiling in order to get a better
coredump report (you should get symbols left in if you stop the
packaging from stripping them out)

 2) editing the debian packaging to try to get it to use a different
git revision - you'll need to find out on the xorg mailing lists what
the best stable evtouch release is

 etc. etc.

 right now, you're stuck, so there's no harm in experimenting like this.

 good luck,

l.