Re: Do I want to debootstrap Debian armhf on my iMX53 board?

lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca wrote:
On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 02:35:28PM +0100, Hector Oron wrote:
"Load U-Boot, the kernel and the root filesystem from the SATA drive.
This requires soldering, and not just where the DIP switch isn't, so
I'm going to leave this for now."

Could you please expand a little or you got further instructions or at
least where to find them?

The quickstart guide mentions how to do this on rev 2.1 boards.  You add
the dip switch and move one resistor and then you can use the dipswitches
to select the boot device.

Right, that's the doc that I couldn't find a minute ago.

I think I too will just stick with microSD boot for now and then jump
to sata from there.  I really wish freescale had just put the darn dip
switch on in the first place.  How many cents could that have cost?

What they say is that they wanted to make the board "easy to use", and to make sure that everyone in the "community is developing in the same way", which sounds like doublespeak to me. Perhaps more likely is that they realised that the switch was a bit useless because you still need to mess with pull-up resistors too.

Phil.