Re: Do I want to debootstrap Debian armhf on my iMX53 board?

Hi Hector,

Hector Oron wrote:
Hello Phil,

2011/5/24 Phil Endecott <spam_from_debian_arm@chezphil.org>:

p.s. I am going to try to record my progress here: Ã? http://chezphil.org/tvcomputer/

Very interesting notes. I am trying to get one of this devices up and
running and reading your notes I found on SATA booting:

"Load U-Boot, the kernel and the root filesystem from the SATA drive.
This requires soldering, and not just where the DIP switch isn't, so
I'm going to leave this for now."

Could you please expand a little or you got further instructions or at
least where to find them?

See IMX53QSBRM.pdf, "Hardware User Guide for i.MX53 Quick Start Board", section 5.4.2.

I believe that I found some other mention in one of the other PDFs, but I can't find it now. This other doc was explicit about "to boot from SATA, unsolder Rxx and rotate it through 90 degrees so that it shorts the other pair of pads".

Note that I'm currently loading U-Boot from the microSD and then loading the kernel from SATA - but this is actually slower than loading the kernel from microSD. I presume that this is because the U-Boot SATA driver is some sort of naive one-byte-at-a-time thing, or that it sets up the SATA controller with worst-case timings, or something of that sort.

Cheers,  Phil.