Re: Building from sources for ARM

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 3:31 PM, Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

2011/8/13 raj ravi <mekaviraj@gmail.com>:
> I am bit new to Debian.
> I am going through ,how to get sources by looking at debian related howto's.
> But unable to get some clues with respect to my specific question.
> Any help ?

`apt-get source <package>` will get you sources.

> On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM, raj ravi <mekaviraj@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I need to download the sources from Debian , for example:
>>
>>  http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs_1.41.3.orig.tar.gz
>>
>>  http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/e2fsprogs/e2fsprogs_1.41.3-1.diff.gz
>> Apply the diff and should be able to compile and build the binaries.
>>
>> Any tool/script which can do for all the packages present in the rootfs
>> can help.
>> If it is ARM specific, it will be great

It is not ARM specific but Debian specific working on any architecture:
 apt-get build-dep e2fsprogs
 apt-get source -b e2fsprogs

>>> I have a query related to debain rootfs for ARM platform.
>>>
>>> I have executed the following command and able to get entire rootfs for
>>> ARM
>>> #debootstrap --verbose --foreign --arch armel sid ./sid
>>> http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian
>>>
>>> This command is able to give me entire rootfs with all the binaries
>>> and libraries.
>>>
>>> By following the link , I can see sources present at this
>>> location:(for example e2fsprogs)
>>> http://ftp.at.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/e2fsprogs/
>>>
>>>  I need  to build the applications from the sources rather than using
>>> binaries generated and  I need to use a custom toolchain to build this
>>> entire rootfs.
>>>
>>> Is there a tool (like buildroot) to download all packages and build
>>> the entire rootfs. ?

There are several tools to build from sources, but there are
dependency loops which prevent that you can bootstrap Debian from
scratch, in other words, you can use dpkg-buildpackage, debuild,
svn-buildpackage, git-buildpackage, sbuild, etc... to compile a
package given you can fulfill its build dependencies, but you cannot
bootstrap Debian from sources due to dependency loops, work towards
this goal is very welcome.

We have a very customized tool chain where the Debian precompiled binaries and libraries
are not compatible.

Assuming this as a new architecture, in general how is Debian ported to a new architecture and this bootstrapping of rootfs achieved?

Is crosscompiling each and every package manually a solution or there is a better way out?

Thanks.