Re: Debian on SS400-E

On 24/03/11 17:49, chris wilkinson wrote:
I have a confusion about installing Debian on this NAS device. I'd like to do
that and there are instructions on the list to follow but I don't want to
remove the usual NAS functionality.

My question is: will updating the firmware also remove the stock web interface
and functionality?

The end result I'm trying to achieve is a NAS functioning as normal but also
with Debian so I can add further functions such as Apache.

I'm not familiar with that particular device, but almost certainly the answer to your question is yes, if you run Debian on it then you won't also be running the original software.

It would take a remarkable device (although they do exist) to be capable of running two different operating systems simultaneously, with both thinking that it controlled the machine.

Cheers,
John