Re: ARMv4-support in armel/squeeze?

+++ Steve Langasek [2010-12-20 14:53 -0800]:
> On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:17:27PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:

> > I suggest a different way: Add a new "bootstrap mode" to the build
> > utilities (as per DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS='bootstrap=yes'), in which a
> > source package can be built even if packages marked as not relevant
> > for the architecture "bootstrap" are not there. Also, not all binary
> > packages of the source package need to be produced, but the packages
> > which are produced need to be technical functional (but might be
> > without documentation, and with an degraded user interface). (Also,
> > these binary packages are marked with Bootstrap: yes, to be able to
> > identify them.)
>
> > (Basically, that adds Build-Recommends, in addition to Build-Depends.)

This suggestion is pretty close to what we are working on. I agree
with you that only one source package is needed, but with more than
one 'build-stage' (as opposed to multiple source packages).

Using a virtual architecture of 'bootstrap' to annotate the build-deps
is neat. It deals with the issue of repeating the build-deps in
Buildd-depends-StageN as sugested in the URLs below. However it does
limit you to only one 'build stage'. i.e there is the normal build and
there is the bootstrap build. You cannot have 3 stages of build. This
may not be a significant limitation, but we need to be fairly sure of
that before building it into the system. Cross-toolchains packages are
one thing that does have more than just bootstrap/full. How many
others are there, and how do we deal with them?

> cf. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/M/ARMAutomatedBootstrap, a proposal for
> systematically breaking build-dependency loops with multi-stage package
> builds.  This would cleanly allow breaking any loops, including possible
> nested build-dep loops.  I'm sure Loïc would welcome input on refining the
> design, not to mention help implementing Debian buildd infrastructure.

Which I referenced earlier in this thread, and have expanded upon, here:
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianBootstrap

I'll add aba's option to that.

Wookey
http://wookware.org/