Re: ARMv4-support in armel/squeeze?

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 11:17:27PM +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Konstantinos Margaritis (markos@genesi-usa.com) [101220 23:04]:
> > a. identify all the circural dependencies in the package tree
> > (probably something ilke that is already done using some tool)
> > b. Modify some packages to actually separate into 2 _source_ packages,
> > a -core and a -full. The -core could be built with only minimal
> > functionality and just enable the needed package to build.

> I doubt that you get enough buy-in from the maintainers to do that.

> I suggest a different way: Add a new "bootstrap mode" to the build
> utilities (as per DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS='bootstrap=yes'), in which a
> source package can be built even if packages marked as not relevant
> for the architecture "bootstrap" are not there. Also, not all binary
> packages of the source package need to be produced, but the packages
> which are produced need to be technical functional (but might be
> without documentation, and with an degraded user interface). (Also,
> these binary packages are marked with Bootstrap: yes, to be able to
> identify them.)

> (Basically, that adds Build-Recommends, in addition to Build-Depends.)

cf. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Specs/M/ARMAutomatedBootstrap, a proposal for
systematically breaking build-dependency loops with multi-stage package
builds.  This would cleanly allow breaking any loops, including possible
nested build-dep loops.  I'm sure Loïc would welcome input on refining the
design, not to mention help implementing Debian buildd infrastructure.