Re: ARMv4-support in armel/squeeze?

On 20 December 2010 02:08, Wookey <wookey@wookware.org> wrote:
> I'd love to hear from Konstantinos what his list of problem packages
> is, and what hackery was done to get each initial build done.

Oh, wow, that's a loong list of hacks. The biggest problem I had with
bootstraping armhf was the overwhelming number of circular
build-dependencies. Eg. for anyone interested, just try to check the
huge list of build-dependencies of udev, and libdevmapper (lvm2). Just
to get those built I had to build "hacked" versions of some of the
dependecies (2-3 levels down in the dependency tree), build say lvm2,
and then rebuild the original package. And then rebuild lvm2 again.

seriously, the only way I see this getting fixed is with 2 steps:

a. identify all the circural dependencies in the package tree
(probably something ilke that is already done using some tool)
b. Modify some packages to actually separate into 2 _source_ packages,
a -core and a -full. The -core could be built with only minimal
functionality and just enable the needed package to build.

That way it should be possible -after many modifications to many
packages, admittedly- to maybe cross-build the complete debian archive
with only minor interactions.

Also, It should be a fix in the policy that NO package should ever be
allowed to have circular dependecies. Without a change in the policy
the problem will never be fixed.

My 2c.

Konstantinos