Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant

On 7/10/10, Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> wrote:
>  2010/7/10, Martin Guy <martinwguy@gmail.com>:
> > What are the effects of the name choice?
> If we pick up the wrong name, then we would need to start over the
>  bootstrapping again, and we would like to avoid that.
Sure. So my question was "what are the technical impacts of the string
chosen as an arch name?" -or- "What would make it 'wrong'"?

>  > I also remember "debian-arch =~ arm*" being used in some cases, again
>  > suggesting as arch name that starts with "arm"
>
> I had look in a small amount of packages from base and I could not
>  find any reference to this string you are suggesting. In anyway, this
>  is wrong and should use `dpkg-architecture'. Could you find a case
>  where this happens (please avoid toolchain packages)?

Sorry, I didn't mean that literal string, I meant changes to build
scripts where the architecture name is fished out and matched against
a pattern beginning with "arm", for example in shell script case
statements or in Makefiles using that awful "findstring" syntax.

The only examples of Debian arch name matching in the Debian patches
that I submitted in 2008[1] are those for afnix and plplot, and both
compare $DEB_BUILD_ARCH with a constant string: "arm" and "armel"
respectively.
Of those two, plplot will need updating to "armel" || "armwhatever"

The only "arm*" I have is in mozart's "config.guess"; which, I think,
is matching against the first part of the GNU triple. It then puts
__ARM_EABI__ through cc -E to detect EABI usage, rather than using the
DEB_BUILD_ARCH, so that one should be ok.

I don't know about the patches made by others; it may be possible to
fish them out of the debian bug tracker as, thanks to Riku's
foresight, they should be tagged with Usertag: eabi and User:
debian-arm@lists.debian.org

Another check for packages patched for armel is to search the bug
tracker for bugs submitted by martinwguy@yahoo.it (as I was then),
which will catch modifications that were made upstream, instead of in
Debian.

Lastly, going through the old versions of
http://wiki.debian.org/ArmEabiProblems via the "info" link will give
lists of packages that needed fixing for armel.

Even once the bootstrapping is done, adding a new architecture to
Debian is a lot of work.

[1] http://martinwguy.co.uk/martin/arm/debian/patches