Re: armelfp: new architecture name for an armel variant

Hello,

2010/7/9, Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>:
>  Please, let's not use the last field; there is not only the default
>  target of the toolchain, there is also the toolchain itself.  An
>  arm-linux-gnueabi toolchain can target both soft and hard float calling
>  conventions, so a single triplet.  It would be perfectly fine to use
>  this triplet for toolchains/products built using either the soft or the
>  hard float calling conventions.  The only issue is ... Debian's
>  constraints.  Debian wants different triplets for dpkg and other
>  reasons (e.g.  Multiarch).  Debian is a vendor and can use the vendor
>  field.  Upstream software should ignore the vendor field, unless they
>  know it.  It would be odd for us to invent an ABI which upstream
>  doesn't know about (upstream knows about arm-linux-gnueabi) and force
>  them to use it.

I tend to agree with this. Triplet should be 'arm-linux-gnueabi' as
upstream recommends. Whether we patch dpkg for ABI autodetection (if
possible) or use the vendor tag I am unsure.

Have we got a Debian architecture name yet? 'armelhf' is most reasonable one?

Best regards,
--
 Héctor Orón